Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > The Mighty Midgets

The Mighty Midgets Often referred to as the purest form of racing these "mighty midgets" are a racing history teasure.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:37 AM   #1
Mitch G.

Default RMMRA midgets 1961-time and results

Another 1961 RMMRA midget race program, not sure who's notes these are, handwriting does not look familiar. Someone made a note on the Tom Roath Marine Co. ad, they must have felt Joe Giba in his Johnson Outboard was a better bet than Roath? Check out the time trials page, it appears that the RMMRA had a old timers night or some such promotion. You will see some midget legends took time trials in cars that were competing on that evening. Looks like Earl Kouba had his old buddy Bert McNeese drive his #55 (his name is mis-spelled "McNice") Buddy Shay did some laps in the Rodriquez Offy #27, usually driven by Jim LaManna. Hey Joe Kouba, maybe your mom remembers this promo deal? My question is this, who is Bobby Chester? and what a hot V8-60 he had this night. I remember my dad mentioning this guys name, I see he was 10th in points in 1961, any info out there?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rmmra_1961a.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	588   Click image for larger version

Name:	rmmra_1961b.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	589   Click image for larger version

Name:	rmmra_1961c.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	590   Click image for larger version

Name:	rmmra_1961d.jpg001.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	591   Click image for larger version

Name:	rmmra_1961d_btimes.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	592  

Click image for larger version

Name:	rmmra_1961e.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	593   Click image for larger version

Name:	rmmra_1961f.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	594   Click image for larger version

Name:	rmmra_1961g.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	595   Click image for larger version

Name:	rmmra_1961h_back.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	596  
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2009, 10:21 AM   #2
Olen McGuire
Old Senior Genius

Default Re: RMMRA midgets 1961-time and results

Another great old program to mull over. I noticed that Luby Chevrolet has almost the same ad as they had in 1959 and with what looks like a '59 Corvette.Check out this POST.Also I would guess (though I'm not an expert on handwriting) that it was done by a female over 30 yrs of age.~Olen
Olen McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:12 PM   #3
JRKracer

Bert was in the 55x. That damn old Elmer Sauer got these people to paint their car the same black with gold leaf number 55 to mess with dad. They had Sammy drive for a while then a few other I can't remember other than Bert. they put a little x on it but it wasn't funny when they tried to pay Sammy for Dad's finish, It caused a bit of a riff. They change the number to 2 after that. I bearly remember Bobby Chester, but I do remember him a bit. The car number mostly but I vaguley remember him being pretty consistant. As for mom, her memories are mine and Jimmys now as she pass away in Dec. of 2005. I hope Jimmy will dig up some programs and post when He gets time . He has all Moms pictures. It is my hope over the next month and as our race season ends he will have some time to post. Boy what a treasure chest that is. You will all be amazed at the photos Dad and her collected. Photos like Bill found for this book. Back to the drivers of the 55 of Dads, to my knowledge, Donny and Ellis Evens are the only two to drive baby for Dad. Warren Hamelton drove her twice in '68 at Ord NE. and at Bellville,KS. while he was "keeping" her for Dad. I drove her a dozen times or so and Jimmy drove her once. I get goose bumbs when I remember winning at Fairmont, MN in '83 , I lapped almost the entire field of 14 up to second place, a V-4 chevy from St Louis, in a almost perfectly kepted KK offy the only changes , as i stated, was 4 wheel disc brakes and a roll cage. It took them a hour to decide not ot tear us down. One idiot ask if it was a 270. The moron had no glue as to how much bigger in physical size a 270 was versis my little 105 cid midget offy. I get to rambling about old days, sorry, I guess that is what old racers do. I hope you all enjoy the stories. I do have a lot of them.
Joe
JRKracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
Olen McGuire
Old Senior Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKracer
I hope you all enjoy the stories. I do have a lot of them.

Hey Joe,I for one do enjoy those stories.I have mostly been a spectator on the other side of the fence,but I have always enjoyed what goes on in the pits and beyond.In my early 20's I did a little motorcycle racing with the locals in the Panama Canal Zone, but when I got back to the states I was fascinated with auto racing.So keep those stories coming as you know there are some of us out there listening.

Last edited by Olen McGuire; 08-04-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Olen McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote