Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > The Mighty Midgets

The Mighty Midgets Often referred to as the purest form of racing these "mighty midgets" are a racing history teasure.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
webby
Administrator

Default The Vintage Garage Pogo Midget #27

The midget featured in this article isn't that old but I love reading the story about their journey to restore this vintage midget and get it running.

Sounds like they had a blast!

The Vintage Garage Pogo Midget #27
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
Olen McGuire
Old Senior Genius

Default Re: The Vintage Garage Pogo Midget #27

It sounds as though they did as good of a job on their ministock trailer as they did on Pogo. I'll wait and get "Professor Mitchets" opinion on this.
Great story Eric.
Olen McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:20 PM   #3
ghubrex

What an interesting article, and it means something special to me. I have a 70's vintage supermod that was racing in Wisconsin until 1996--a true survivor. The chassis was built by Tom Pogo, and he was nothing short of a genius when it came to innovative, well thought-out chassis and suspension design for dirt cars. I had the good fortune to meet him the year before he passed away, and he told me a great deal about my car, even though he had built the chassis many years before. He was a great guy who passed away many years too soon. The Wisconsin Super will be on the track at CNS for the Hall of Fame event, and on display ther next day at the Racer's Reunion. Stop by and take a look at #17, another Pogo original!
ghubrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:49 AM   #4
Jeff Isenhart
Rookie

Thumbs up Re: The Vintage Garage Pogo Midget #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
The midget featured in this article isn't that old but I love reading the story about their journey to restore this vintage midget and get it running.

Sounds like they had a blast!

The Vintage Garage Pogo Midget #27
Great story sure does sound like fun. Was neat to read about the car and see the vintage midgets. Nothing beater then midgets.
Jeff Isenhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
Mitch G.

Man, those guys made that car look tremendous! That Edmunds lower nose piece and Edmunds type front nerf bar made all the difference in the world! If midgets still looked like that, I'd own one again. Anytime you can clearly see the driver, you have a great looking race car. When I was shopping for my first midget I wrote to Pogo, they sent me a catalog, and a hand written letter from Karen Pogo. I still have the catalog, and here's a couple of pages, and the cover, it's from 1981.

This is the cover.

A page with one of his sprinters, the middle picture is a midget chassis

This center spread was too large for my scanner, but it's 1980 Badger midget champ Eddie Loomis in a Outhouse midget. The words on the picture say "Do our Chassis work?", and below it says "Ask the competition"
The car these guys in the article restored is a newer car, notice the older Pogo cars had a Grant King style roll cage, a complete upper loop, with a "X" support behind the driver.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote