Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > The Drivers

The Drivers In this forum feel free to start threads about your favorite driver from the golden days of racing. Make sure to title your new thread with the drivers name first.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:11 PM   #21
will6er

Default Re: Ronnie McDowell

One year Jim and Ronnie didn't get their car finished in time and Ronnie drove Bill Clarke's old Ford at Pikes Peak Speedway for a few weeks and still was in the top ten at the end of the year.

Willett? Willis
will6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2010, 08:49 AM   #22
dannyracer6
dr6Motorsports

Send a message via Yahoo to dannyracer6

Hey Mike,
Are you still in the Springs? Have you ever made any contact with Bill Walter in past years? Last time I saw him was in 1998. Would really like to make a connection. Planning to be in the Springs this summer 2010. Going to look up some old friends if any are still around. My wife went to school at Palmer with Bill, His wife, Rhonda and her family were friends of my wife's parents. Rhonda's dad had a trucking company out on Cheyenne Road. I built an engine once in his shop. Bill had the green 55 Springs Reality sponsored car in the 60s, and a little red Nova in early 70s. Not sure when he quit. I rubbed elbows with a lot of those early guys, and sure did like to see Ronny run. I only remember his little Nova and the Yellow 68is Camaro.

Dan
dannyracer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #23
Mike Croley

No , i left the Springs in the mid 70s . I haven't seen or heard about Bill for a long time . My best friend was Rondas' brother Craig . I knew the whole Paddock family very well . Until recently i still had my green Walters 83 racing jacket , unfortunatly it got lost in a move .
Mike Croley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:13 AM   #24
Mike Croley

Quote:
Originally Posted by will6er View Post
One year Jim and Ronnie didn't get their car finished in time and Ronnie drove Bill Clarke's old Ford at Pikes Peak Speedway for a few weeks and still was in the top ten at the end of the year.

Willett? Willis
I think Ronny could have been competitive in any car . He was sure something . It didn't hurt to have Jim Willy building and tuning the cars though .
Old 02-19-2010, 04:40 PM   #25
dannyracer6
dr6Motorsports

Send a message via Yahoo to dannyracer6

Mike,
I cant think that we did not cross paths then. I remember "little Craig" well. We, My wife and i spent many evenings at the Paddock home. I remember when Delbert bought Eileen her new pink Cadillac. I hope to be able to find Bill again. If I knew how to get in touch with him I would. We were great friends.

Dan
dannyracer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:46 PM   #26
highboy-xlt
Rookie

I am starting to build scale replicas of some of the cars/drivers I used to see at Pikes Peak Speedway and Beacon Hill.

Here is one of Ronnie's cars. I remember he drove predominantly yellow Camaros. But one summer I saw him driving this white one at Beacon Hill. The decals are homemade. I used the photo posted here as reference.

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Last edited by highboy-xlt; 03-06-2010 at 11:58 AM.
highboy-xlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:17 AM   #27
Mike Croley

Thats excellent work .
Old 08-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #28
Pat Channel
One Post Wonder

I just registered on this site after searching for Ronny McDowell. First thing I see is a picture of the black modified Ronny ran at Beacon Hill, PPR and Englewood in the 60s. I was Ronny's biggest fan which caused some problems since my dad, Merle Channel, Roger Nelson and Walt Pickard ran the 34 modified at that time. Walt of course drove the red 34. Mike, I also saw a photo of Roger with Bill Yolotz you posted.

I watched Ronny race all through his lifetime. I can still hear the PA, no matter what track it was, his intro... NUMBER 119 RRRRRRRRONNY MCDOWELL!! Cheers and boos alike would follow. It was so fun watching Ronny race from the back all the time. He did in fact end up with over 350 feature wins. Ronny perfected the "brake check". Especially in turns 1 & 2 at Beacon Hill, if someone was keeping up with him, he would brake check them hard and as soon as they ran into him he used the momentum to end the challenge they thought they were making.

Had Walt Pickard not gotten injured and had to quit racing, I think he would have maybe cut Ronnie's feature winsx in half. I can remember in the 60's Walt didn't like Ronny a whole lot. Here was this young, underage actually, kid starting to knock Walt off his throne as the top driver from Pueblo. I actually sat in the concession stand at Beacon Hill, Walt owned the track then, with them both one Saturday afternoon in 1985, a few hours before the track was to open, and told them of my memories of the 60's and they both laughed so loud. They had become very close friends. The Pueblo Chieftain ran a story of Ronnie's death, and the reporter went to Walt's house to ask him about Ronnie, and in the article told how Walt had tears in his eye's when asked about Ronnie.

My memories of Beacon Hill are some of my fondest. After the races the crowd could go to the pits. I always went by Ronnie's pit and of course the 34, but there was a great old guy there - Lou Wilshaw - I would make a bee line for his car and can remember him picking me up and putting me into his rac car. When it was time to go home my mom always knew where I was. I sure would like to see any pictures or hear any memories of Lou.

Mike, thanks buddy, you made my day!
Pat Channel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:30 PM   #29
webby
Administrator

Hey Pat...

Welcome to Auto Racing Memories! I have certified your membership so now you have full privileges and you can post pictures if you want to. For tips on how to post images check out these instructional videos.

Looking forward to hearing more of your auto racing memories!
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:47 AM   #30
Mike Croley

Glad you found this site Pat . Please post any more memories or any photos you might have . I remember Lou very well . When i was a kid i was at Sportsmans Raceway Park in the Springs every chance i got . And Ronny and Lou raced there every week . Thats when Ronny raced his black T-Bird ( i sure hope someone comes up with a photo of that car someday ) and Lou raced a 56 Ford . That was around 1964 or 1965 . I didn't get to Beacon Hill as often , but i still saw a lot of races there over the years .
I got to see some incredible drivers . I really think Ronny was one of the best i've ever seen , and i've been to a lot of race tracks in a lot of states . But he wasn't the only one with talent . The Southern Colorado tracks produced some real racers .