Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Race Tracks

Race Tracks Everyone has their favorite race track(s) growing up as a kid. In this forum you can discuss your favorite old race track. Make sure to title your new thread with the name of the race track.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Default ENGLEWOOD SPEEDWAY – ‘50’s Jalopy Action

Let’s go back to the day when a dollar gave you a whole evening of this kind of entertainment……..

(J.L. McGuire collection) Blackie Blackard #46 piles head-on into the action during ‘50’s Jalopy
races at Englewood Speedway.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Jalopies head in every direction during this pile up on the East end
of Englewood. A free bottle of orange Ne-Hi to anyone who can identify these drivers! I know
Walter Avants owned the #25.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Don Dolezal #46, Roger Pierce #30, and Harold Harcrow #32 are
about to have some real fun in the Englewood backchute. Note the absence of a catch
fence along the edge of the track back there!

(J.L. McGuire collection) #25 and #101 take the inside to avoid the #15 flying end-over-end
during Jalopy action at Englewood Speedway in the ‘50’s. If you look close at the #15, it
looks as though the driver is holding on to the steering column for dear life while flying
backwards through that opening side door!
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2009, 02:02 PM   #2
parrot

Default Re: ENGLEWOOD SPEEDWAY – ‘50’s Jalopy Action

Love that era of racing! Thanks Jerry Lee for those photos. Of course I'd previously seen them in your retrospective book, but these are much more clear. Like to take you up on that Nehi, but I'm afraid I'm no help here. Any idea of the years? Appears to be about mid fifties.
parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:00 AM   #3
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

(Ken Tadolini collection) More Jalopy action from Englewood Speedway in the ‘50’s with John
Tadolini #14 and Eke Chapin #70 “dancing” through the turn. Looks like Eke is trying to read
a map or something to get around the track.

(Roger Avants collection) By the mid-to-late ‘50’s the Jalopies were known as ‘Stockers’.
Here’s a Walter Avants owned car that looks as though it just arrived in the pits at Englewood.
It’s a sure bet that this car wouldn’t stay clean for very long, if the mud on the car in the
background is any indication to what the track was like. Check out the hand painted number
boards tacked up on a very “clean” Englewood pit fence. Must have been the days before
paint came in a spray can!

(Ken Tadolini collection) John Tadolini picks up another win sometime during the 1955 season
at Englewood. Dig the half buried tires they used on the inside of the track.

More to come……….
Old 11-23-2009, 01:34 PM   #4
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

(J.L. McGuire collection) Bobby Kelly #4 followed by Sam Langley #1 miss a rolling Jalopy in
this grainy old photo from Englewood Speedway. Looks like a packed house enjoying these
races from 1951.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Len Winters #70 Jalopy looks like it’s just been dropped from an
airplane in this 1951 action shot from Englewood.

(J.L. McGuire collection) More early ‘50’s Jalopy action at Englewood. Note the “rumble seat”
popping open on Art Fry’s #40 in the background.

(J.L. McGuire collection) #101 lands rubber-side-up during ‘50’s Englewood action. Can’t quite
make out the driver’s name on the door, but ‘Red Rocks Auditorium’ seems like a pretty hefty
sponsor for a Jalopy!

(J.L. McGuire collection) A barrel-roll through the back stretch was a typical scene at
Englewood during the ‘50’s.

More to come…….
Old 11-23-2009, 03:31 PM   #5
Thomas E

Jerry Lee these are great.

Fender hangin' . . . Door bangin' . . . Fun!

I keep watching for a photo of "Junior" (Garland) Boyes who ran #180x at Englewood, it was, I think the mid 50's. It was a white 35-36 Ford 5-window coupe, with red numbers and modest flaming on the sides.

Harry Lofgren ran a #18 35-36 Ford that looked similar, red over white without flames. When I find my photo I'll post it.

"Stay tuned for the greatest spectacle in racing" ~ Sid Collins

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...
Thomas E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:22 PM   #6
Thomas E

Here is a mid-50's post action photo at Englewood of Harry Lofgren, #18. Check out that rear window.

Main event win? The Trophy on top of #18 must be a travel trophy, and Harry and the trophy girl are holding the individual winner trophy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	H. Lofgren #18 x.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	920  

"Stay tuned for the greatest spectacle in racing" ~ Sid Collins

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...
Thomas E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:43 AM   #7
parrot

This was in some photos that originally came from Elmer Sauer. I was never sure where this track was, but now appears it must be from Englewood Speedway, early fifties. My copy of an Englewood program says this is probably from 1950 based on the info on the #21 car on his lid. That would be Melvin Flanagan, with #41 probably the Tommy Pryor owned car (no driver listed) and what I think is #72, Bill Nicholson. The CARC was the stock car organization there during '50 and '51 before moving to Lakeside Speedway. The RMSCRA then became the stock car group at Englwood Speedway. Interesting that both groups had large fields of cars in those early years. After I was old enough to get a drivers license, one Sunday in the mid fifties, I first went to Lakeside for the pre-season hot lap session, then headed south to Englewood to catch theirs. It was great! Looks like a good crowd here. What side of the track was that during those early years?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	#21 Flanagan.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	921  
parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:51 AM   #8
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Neat stuff fellas! Thanks for sharing.
Hard to say what end of the track that pic was taken from Parrot. One would believe that the photographer was standing on the East end of the track showing the North stands there. BUT! There was a time that the main stands were along the South stretch during the late 40's/early '50's, never have been able to find out what year they switched sides.

I've got another batch of Jalopy photos coming up soon.............
Old 11-25-2009, 04:57 PM   #9
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

(J.L. McGuire collection) Here’s more ‘50’s Jalopy action from Englewood. It’s a sure bet there
wasn’t much left of this car once he stopped tumbling through the turn.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Russ Forbes #109 and later Lakeside legend Bill Starks #44 after
some kind of skirmish on the Englewood dirt in 1951.

(J.L. McGuire collection) In 1953 Charlie Codner had the track surface converted over to clay.
Here’s an ad that ran that year in the Rocky Mountain News. By the 1954 season the track
was back to dirt again.

(J.L. McGuire collection) #83 is helped around by #25 on Englewood’s “experimental”
clay surface in 1953.

(J.L. McGuire collection) #63 landed “butt up” in front of the grandstands at Englewood in
this ‘50’s Jalopy shot. Either this was during a hot lap session early in the afternoon, or
everyone ran for cover as there doesn’t seem to be the usual packed seating area.

(J.L. McGuire collection) No doubt Harry Lofgren wished he had a full roll cage after this
tumble along the Englewood guardrail during ‘50’s Jalopy action.

(Paul Andersen collection) Paul Andersen picks up a trophy in his Stocker during the 1959
season at Englewood. This was the last season the track had a dirt surface.

Like some of you guys said earlier, this is a great era of racing. Please add to this thread with any photos or memories you might have from the “golden days” of 1950’s Jalopy racing at Englewood Speedway.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:36 AM   #10
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

(J.L. McGuire collection) Looks like “Fats” in #35 and the #70 tangle in the corner.

(Eddie Biondi collection) 1956 RMSCRA champ Fred Buttrick #81 nails the side of 1954
RMSCRA champion Roger Miller #60 during Jalopy action from a 1957 Englewood program.
Dick Newton #13 is headed for trouble!

(J.L. McGuire collection) Jalopy action like this probably kept the race fans on their feet
all day long.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Mel Ideker and crew from 1955.

(J.L. McGuire collection) George Oaks #0 tangles with others in turn 4 during 1956 Englewood
action. Al Hunter #31 looks like he got away on the high side of the mess. Englewood State
Bank was probably a good sponsor to have on a Jalopy during that time period!