Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Sprint Cars & Champ Cars

Sprint Cars & Champ Cars The big brother(s) to the midget these open wheel beasts have a rich heritage in our auto racing memories.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
Mitch G.

Default Dirt Sprint car on Hot Rod Mag cover

Hot Rod Magazine, June 1975. Don Blair's sprint car is featured on the cover of the generally hot rod, drag race, oriented publication. California Racing Association (CRA) champ Jimmy Oskie is behind the wheel of this neat yellow sprint car. Blair, a long time So.Cal speed shop owner, was himself on the cover of Hot Rod Mag. back in 1957 in his dirt roadster. Gray Baskerville the feature editor of Hot Rod, and a accomplished photographer liked sprint cars, and often did features on sprint car racing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hotrodcover_1.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	923   Click image for larger version

Name:	hotrodcover_2.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	924   Click image for larger version

Name:	hotrodcover_3.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	925  
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2009, 08:04 PM   #2
bobjeffreson

Default Re: Dirt Sprint car on Hot Rod Mag cover

Remember when the Don Edmunds' Modified made the cover. I bought this magazine as a young boy because it was a special oval track issue.

bobjeffreson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
Mitch G.

I found that very issue in a antique store a few years back, and bought it. I love those Edmunds super mod's.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:31 PM   #4
lakeside #29

That issue of HRM also included photos of local Denver guys Bart Manley and Junior Denning working on a Deuce chassis and Wayne Stallsworth with his #1 Lakeside Speedway coupe. The article also described parts they Referred to as "Denver Dandies" which were a floater axle and hub compared with stock equivalents and an alumium gas tank. I bought the issue when it first hit the newstands and a second issue years later at a secondhand store. It was one of my favorite issues of HRM.

Chris Ertler - "professor coupe"
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:47 PM   #5
parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeside #29 View Post
That issue of HRM also included photos of local Denver guys Bart Manley and Junior Denning working on a Deuce chassis and Wayne Stallsworth with his #1 Lakeside Speedway coupe. The article also described parts they Referred to as "Denver Dandies" which were a floater axle and hub compared with stock equivalents and an alumium gas tank. I bought the issue when it first hit the newstands and a second issue years later at a secondhand store. It was one of my favorite issues of HRM.
Yup! That was a good issue. Saved that one because of the Bart Manley/Junior Denning photos. I believe that Bart was also pictured in another early Hot Rod Magazine issue showing his '57 F-100 that he tricked out. Been looking for it, but can't seem to come up with it. Anyone know which that issue was?
parrot is offline   Reply With Quote