Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Modifieds

Modifieds The open wheel version of a stock car has a wide range of variations as well as the supermodfied which is a closer relative to the sprint car.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
vintagemodman
Rookie

Default Miles "The Mouse" Melius

Click image for larger version

Name:	jmouse.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	949

Miles "The Mouse" Melius Next to a Cadillac powered Henry J like he drove to many wins in 1957. The Mouse is still acive in the local racing, attending races every week and many Vintage events throughout the summer.
vintagemodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
carc7

Default Re: Miles "The Mouse" Melius

A CADDY POWERED HENRY J??? HOW COOL IS THAT!!??!!??
carc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:25 PM   #3
ghubrex

"The Mouse" was popular and very successful in Eastern Wisconsin modified racing--equivalent in that part of the country to Fritz Wilson, Rick Carelli, and Wayne Stallsworth in Denver area.
ghubrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:49 AM   #4
Thomas E

Neat car, a Caddy and a Henry J, I like it. It is different.

What type frame does it have?

I have a Henry J model car body, I can add that to my builds.

"Stay tuned for the greatest spectacle in racing" ~ Sid Collins

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...
Thomas E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:06 PM   #5
Slim Louis
Slim Louis

Thanks for sharing the picture, John, I grew up watching the Mouse, first recollections were around 61-62, I think.

Thanks for letting me wax nostalgically!

Slim
Slim Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
Slim Louis
Slim Louis

Well I am certified to post pictures, now, so here ia a shot of the first "Mouse" car that I can remember. My friends and brothers called it the forty ford, because it looked like a cut down sedan, not sure what it really was, though! Anyway, first memories!

This is why every young kid (and adults) loved the mouse! His three-wheelin' style was awesome!

Pace lap State Fair Park Feature. Don't get any better then this!

Thanks for letting me hijack the thread, John!
Old 12-27-2009, 06:41 PM   #7
vintagemodman
Rookie

Slim, this actually was a 40 Ford sedan body cut down. They called it a coach. This is the car that the Mouse got hurt in. He hit the wall head on during qualifying going an estimated 85mph. He flew completely over a road grader parked outside the wall. He had a broken jaw, wrist and had cuts and bruises. Went to the hospital and came back to the track the same night and was signing autographs. How tough is that? I was there that night and will never forget it. If I could figure out how to post pictures I would. Do you still live in Wisconsin?
Old 12-27-2009, 06:52 PM   #8
Slim Louis
Slim Louis

I was there that night, too, John, tore me up watching that wreck! Then he shows back up! That is tough! I have lived in Memphis now for the last 15 years, retired from the restaurant business in 97 (Did my chef's apprenticeship at the Pfister Hotel) and now play music , full time, for a living. Such as it is! lol Lots of memories of the MSC era of racing. My older brother raced a 53/4 Chevy sportsman he bought from Roger Regath, Paul Feldner used to come around the house, Roger Plautz and Tim Lipski and myself all built models together as kids, before I turned to rock'n'roll and they started racing! I tried to be a sign painter, Artie Dexter was my hero, lettered a few sportsmen and a modified before I realized I wasn't that good!
Old 12-27-2009, 06:59 PM   #9
vintagemodman
Rookie

Wow, Small world Slim. I have Paul Feldner's modified (Champion Chicken) from 1965. Also have a Frank Smith 57 Ford tribute car. I am currently working on a replica of Mouse's car from 1961. We put out a bi-monthly newsletter about the short tracks in Southeastern Wisconsin. We also have a Hall of Fame in Hartford WI. now too.
Lots going on around here. I see Mouse all the time. Probably will have breakfast with him this weekend!

John
Old 12-27-2009, 07:09 PM   #10
vintagemodman
Rookie

Click image for larger version

Name:	1and1.JPG
Views:	405
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	956