Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Stock Cars

Stock Cars Stock cars have come a long way since the days of the old jalopy but many race fans will tell you the vintage stock cars put on some of the best fender banging action of all-time.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
superstroke

Default Butch Speichers #73 Late Model Stock Car

Again, from the Randy Stallsworth collection, these two shots of Butch Speichers Chevelle were also taken by John Verhoeff. The first shot was taken at Colorados Century 21 Speedway. I am not sure if this car was a Racing Associates car or not, but in the second picture, shot at Colorados Englewood Speedway, it appears that the car rests on The Associates car hauler....dunno. Anyway, this car too was fast and not hard on the eyes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	#32Century21.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	1021   Click image for larger version

Name:	#44Englewood.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	1022  
superstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2010, 08:36 AM   #2
Mitch G.

Default Re: Butch Speichers #73 Late Model Stock Car

I remember this car very well, always thought it was one of the prettiest cars in the late model division. I remember all the Denver late model guys trying to keep up with Hershal McGriff at Century 21 Speedway, he was in that Olympia Beer #4, and just drove by our Denver guys, ouch. We thought Pete Stringer had a chance, but demolished his yellow #20 a week or so before the big Century 21 show. Stringer ended up in a gray primer 57' Chevy that just was not competitive. Anyone else remember that show? it was a daytime race at Century 21.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:47 PM   #3
schafer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G. View Post
I remember this car very well, always thought it was one of the prettiest cars in the late model division. I remember all the Denver late model guys trying to keep up with Hershal McGriff at Century 21 Speedway, he was in that Olympia Beer #4, and just drove by our Denver guys, ouch. We thought Pete Stringer had a chance, but demolished his yellow #20 a week or so before the big Century 21 show. Stringer ended up in a gray primer 57' Chevy that just was not competitive. Anyone else remember that show? it was a daytime race at Century 21.
he didnt run away from anybody at lakeside speedway when he tried to race there however!
schafer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:59 AM   #4
superstroke

I do not know which race at Century 21 Speedway that Mitch is referring to, but according to Doug Stallsworth, there was a daytime show that was called The World Short Track Championship. This took place in 1971. Doug cannot remember if Hershel McGriff was present or not. Wayne Stallsworth ran away from the field at this particular race in the red Mustang #4.

In 1973 and 74, a series of races were held at Colorados Englewood Speedway (called the Falstaff 100) and at Colorado National Speedway (called the Olympia 100). Hershel McGriff was present at all these races, but Wayne Stallsworth prevailed at all these events. At Englewood, during one of the Falstaff 100 races, Wayne was leading the event when a transformer blew and the race was called because the track lighting was disabled. Waynes engine blew seconds after the lights went out, but he was awarded the victory. The Stallsworth team had to get ready for the next evenings race at CNS. Their challenge was to create a good engine out of two engines, the one that had blown and another that was at Ralph Youngs garage. Hershell McGriff was staying at Ralphs home during these races and was watching the Stallsworth team as they took connecting rods from the spare engine and weighed them on a mail scale to check the weight comparison to the damaged rods. There was some grinding that had to be done in order to accomplish this procedure. Hershell scoffed at the teams rather caveman like machine shop practices and said that the engine would not even fire, let alone last the evenings racing. Later, at Colorado Nat'l Speedway, after making the fast heat, Wayne pulled the car off of the track and it appeared that Hershell was right, and the engine was done. However, it was only a ploy, and Wayne returned to take the Olympia 100, much to Hershells disapointment.

In the photo showing the Stallsworth crew mounting tires, this had to be done at the race track because they had used all the other time up rebuilding the engine. I am sure any of you who have raced remember many days and nights doing exactly this frenzied job.

These photos are from the Randy Stallsworth collection and were taken by John Verhoeff. Hershell McGriffs beautiful #4 Olmpia Beer Chevelle is shown at both Englewood and Colorado Nat'l Speedways. And of course, Wayne Stallsworth is shown at speed in Ralph Youngs fast Mustang #4 "Pure Sex".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	39ColoNatDirt.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	1033   Click image for larger version

Name:	55ColoNatDirt.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	1034   Click image for larger version

Name:	67ColoNatDirt.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1035   Click image for larger version

Name:	76ColoNatDirt.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	1036  
Old 02-19-2010, 08:56 AM   #5
Mitch G.

I'm a open wheel guy, seldom went to late model races, but I bought the hype in the local media, and convinced my dad that the race at Century 21 would be the one to go to. It was in the daytime, which ever year that Stringer and Stallsworth had their crash at Englewood that wrecked Stringers car (he'd won several features in a row at Englewood, in his yellow Chevelle #20) just before the big race at Century 21, so you late model guys tell me the year. The race was boring, and McGriff did blow the doors off the Denver guys, on that particular day. I remember because it was the same day as the season closing RMMRA midget race, and I made my dad take me to the late model race instead of the midget show. He (being a hardcore midget fan) was nice to me, but did chide me pretty hard for choosing a boring late model race, when we found out the midget show was a photo finish in the feature between the 1st and 2nd points finishers of that season, oh well. Not passing judgement on Denver late model guys, they just got spanked that day by the Olympia Beer car. Maybe the winner was so far ahead of McGriff that we just thought McGriff won, it was a long time ago. Last I heard McGriff is in his eighties, and still racing!
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
superstroke

When I was on the Chesrown team, Hershel McGriff would sometimes bring a car out to race in the Winston West Series. That was 16 years ago. He ran tough, but was the first to admit that at his age it was not getting any easier. He is a soft spoken, tough as nails competitor.