Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > The Drivers

The Drivers In this forum feel free to start threads about your favorite driver from the golden days of racing. Make sure to title your new thread with the drivers name first.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Default WAYNE STALLSWORTH – Retrospective

Another legendary name around Colorado racing circles and beyond is that of Wayne Stallsworth. Starting out as a pitman for Fritz Wilson in 1953, Wayne’s passion for anything with four wheels, domineering driving style, and natural knack for setting up a race car earned him 2 Modified championships (’61, ’70), and 3 Late Model championships (’69, ’70, ’74) at Englewood Speedway. Wayne once even tried his hand at driving a Figure 8 race at Lakeside Speedway in 1964, which of course, he won.

1970 was a Triple Crown achievement for Wayne as he won not only the Modified and Late Model crown at Englewood, but took home the National Short Track Championship in Rockford, IL. Wayne’s fascinating winning career not only dominated Colorado race tracks, but took him to new heights in many other states and racing circuits as well.

Sadly, Mr. Stallsworth passed away in 2000 and is still missed by his competitors, friends, and fans alike. His sons Doug, Randy, and Eddie have carried on the Stallsworth name and tradition.

Here’s a quick look at just some of the cars Wayne has piloted over the years…………..

(J.L. McGuire collection) Wayne Stallsworth claimed the 1961 Rocky Mountain Stock Car
Racing Association championship at Englewood Speedway in this ’35 Chevy sedan. Also
pictured are CARC President Bob Hasse (left) and RMSCRA President Sam Chavez (right).
Looks like Wayne ran this car at Lakeside as well.

(CARC Archives) Wayne (right) piloted this beautiful maroon colored coupe in 1965 at
Lakeside Speedway.

(Stallsworth collection/Photo by unknown) Wayne had a “banner” year in this Banner Auto
Parts Bob McDowell owned coupe at Lakeside in 1968 by capturing the record for most
main event wins that season. He missed the championship by a mere 3 points that year.

(Stallsworth collection/Photo by Unknown) Wayne piloted this Bernie Johnson owned Modified
to the 1970 E.R.A. championship at Englewood Speedway.

(Stallsworth collection/John Verhoeff photo) One of the most popular cars that Stallsworth
fans remember well is this Ralph Young owned ’73 Mustang that Wayne drove to the 1974
Late Model championship at Englewood. Pictured with Wayne is John Verhoeff (right)
a long time sponsor and pit man with Wayne’s crew.

(Stallsworth collection/John Verhoeff collection) Wayne’s fans had fun during the ’74
championship season by declaring Englewood as “Stallsworth Speedway” on the back
fence of the grandstands.
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
rapid30

Default Re: WAYNE STALLSWORTH – Retrospective

I thought That I would add this shot of one of Wayne's greatest rides.
rapid30
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	racecar.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	1243  

Last edited by rapid30; 08-05-2010 at 08:36 AM.
rapid30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:12 PM   #3
racefan2
Old School

Wayne in my mind will always be remembered as one of the greatest of all time !

He was not only a champion driver but a master at building engines.

Last edited by racefan2; 06-23-2010 at 08:14 PM. Reason: add pictures
racefan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
racefan2
Old School

More pictures of Wayne
racefan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:25 PM   #5
lakeside #29

Jerry Lee, I had the privelege of first seeing the #52 sedan in the fall of 1960 at one of the old Metropolitan Championship races at Lakeside. I used to read the race results in Monday's newspaper so at least I was familiar with some of the Englewood drivers names even though at that time I had not been to Englewood. You would read about Stallsworth, Lehman, Pierce, Dechant, and Nicholson regularly.

The Stallsworth sedan was bright orange, a shade similar to the color on Allis-Chalmers tractors, with orange wheels and wide white slicks. It was really fast and louder than any car I had heard up to that time. The car ran Fenton headers and if you ever heard a Chevy 6 equipted wtih those, you know how loud they were. All it needed was a set of Olds Fiesta hub caps and it would have looked like somebody's street rod. I never forgot that car. Years later I bought the sedans successor the #52 coupe and even though they are not the same car it's an honor to own a car that Mr. Stallsworth owned.

Chris Ertler - "professor coupe"

Last edited by lakeside #29; 06-25-2010 at 04:38 PM.
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

(Stallsworth collection) Here’s Wayne in a Bud Shearston owned Sprint Car at Lakeside in
1966. The car had an Offy engine at one time, but now sports a Chevy V8 in this pic.

(Eddie Biondi collection) Wayne Stallsworth (left) and crew at Lakeside in 1966.

(Stallsworth collection/Photo by John Verhoeff) 1976 Late Model action at Englewood with
Mike Opperman #24, Wayne Stallsworth #4, Darrell Stingerie #45, and Jim Opperman #23.
Paul Garrison and Jim Tibbitts owned this little Maverick that Wayne wheeled.

(Stallsworth collection/John Verhoeff photo) This awesome Ford was owned by Racing
Associates (Jim Rice & Jim Tibbitts) and driven by Wayne at I-70 Speedway in Odessa, MO.
in 1972.

(Stallsworth collection/John Verhoeff photo) Again in Odessa, MO., this
time in 1973. That’s Bobby Allison #12 and Wayne Stallsworth in the
silver '73 Mustang #7. (NOT the same '73 red Mustang from 1974)

(Stallsworth collection) Wayne Stallsworth captured the National
Short Track Championship for 1970 in Rockford, IL. in this #14
Torino. That same year Wayne drove the ‘Chevy II’ for the first
half of the season, and then this #14 during the second half of
the season to capture the Englewood Speedway Late Model
championship.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 07-16-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:58 PM   #7
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

(Stallsworth collection) Wayne and the Joe Krpan owned coupe from the mid-‘60’s.

(Stallsworth collection/John Verhoeff photo) Wayne slides this brand new ’73 Mustang
around the Colorado National Speedway dirt in 1973.

(Stallsworth collection/John Verhoeff collection) Wayne Stallsworth #27 and Lynn Bybee
#78 during 1973 Late Model action at Englewood.

(Stallsworth collection/John Verhoeff photo) Lake Codner reflects this Englewood action
with Fritz Wilson #71 (outside), Wayne Stallsworth #55, Larry Dechant #116 (the “Rattler”),
and Don Erickson #12 from 1975.

(Stallsworth collection) Wayne Stallsworth (red #4) battles with the legendary
Hershel McGriff (white #4) during the 1974 “Denver Invitational 150” at Englewood
Speedway. This event became known as “the night the lights went out” because the
transformer blew out during the race leaving the track dark. After 96 laps the race was
finally called, leaving Wayne as the winner. His motor in the red Mustang was about to go
out right before they called the race.

(Stallsworth collection/Kristy Stallsworth photo) Since it’s whereabouts are unknown, the
famous red #4 ’73 Mustang that Wayne drove to the 1974 championship was replicated by
Bruce Johnson, Doug, Randy, Ed, & Kristy Stallsworth, and lettered to perfection by Rick
Losh. Owner of the original car, Ralph Young stands next to the new one in a photo for the
Colorado Motor Sports Hall of Fame in 2010.

(Stallsworth collection/Gary Huibregste photo) Wayne Stallsworth finished his great career
in this Bob Couch owned Thunderbird at Colorado National Speedway in the late ‘80’s.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 08-12-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:37 AM   #8
Mitch G.

Jerry Lee, truly amazing photo's, remarkable post! I loved that Mach I, used to watch him battle Pete Stringer in Stringers yellow #20 Chevelle. That's when Late Models were a unique division, the cars had factory sheet metal, huge slicks sticking out of the cut out wheel well's, cool. A friend of mine, and good midget shoe, Butch Middleton ended up with the remains of that Shearston sprint car, he sold it in the mid 90's. Imagine the ringing in your ears after a night in that beautiful #5 Edmunds super mod!!!! Great stuff.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
ramracing

Okay folks now I'm really going to test someones memory. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Wayne Stallsworth set the track record at Englewood in the #27 Ford (which at the time carried the #1) somewhere around the 15.5 second mark for a Stock Car? And as far as I know that record for Stock Cars was never broken?

God I miss that track and the folks that were there..
ramracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:41 PM   #10
BillyJean
Rookie

Limited Membership - Awaiting Certification.

Man I want an old school car like that.
BillyJean is offline   Reply With Quote