Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > The Drivers

The Drivers In this forum feel free to start threads about your favorite driver from the golden days of racing. Make sure to title your new thread with the drivers name first.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
bobjeffreson

Default Gary Patterson

When I was at Knoxville raceway recently, I spent a couple of hours slowing wandering through the Museum and Hall off Fame. Came across this photo of Patterson..so I took a photo of the photo.
This guy was a legend when he came to race in Australia. In sprintcars or midgets...he was the total entertainment package.

bobjeffreson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
bobjeffreson

Default Re: Gary Patterson

Back in '82/83?? , sprintcars were still basically in their infancy down under.
So when Gary Paterson came to Australia for his annual summer stint and broke the 1 lap track record for sprintcars at Liverpool City Raceway nobody was surprised.
Here he is just after setting that record...now...with a race face like that.... did anyone stand a chance against him....
I was a fan of Patterson....
Old 09-13-2010, 05:47 PM   #3
Mitch G.

Ah, the "Preacher", Gary Patterson, Bob, this guy was amazing. He raced everything open wheel, open cockpit, he could get his hands on. When asked why the CRA (Ascot park based non-wing sprint cars) would not run northern California winged races, he said "cause they are scared". Normally I would not agree with this statement, but Patterson could win with a wing in No. Ca, then pull down to Ascot and win without a wing, then jump into a midget, winged or not, and win in that also. Don't know if you've ever broke, or cracked a rib or not, but if so you will understand this next story. Patterson is top of his game in mid 70's or early 80's, big show at Ascot, he flips hard and breaks 6 ribs, after winning the prelim races, not sure of the show. The guy is pale, like a corpse, his crewman use duct tape to tape his chest and upper torso. He is in so much pain his crew lift him up and slip him down through the roll cage into his sprint car, he runs his heat, makes the main, and finishes in the top 5 in a 40 lap main at Ascot. Football, Hockey, basketball, and baseball players like to talk about playing hurt, dude, if you've ever cracked, let alone broke a rib you have no idea what it took to race a sprint car at Ascot with 6 broken ribs, truly amazing. Patterson was a throw back to the old Jud Larson, Jimmy Bryan, Mike Nazaruk, A.J. Foyt, type drivers, one tough dude. I'll try to dig up my info on this guy and post it later.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:43 AM   #4
bobjeffreson

Speaking of The Preacher and A J Foyt.....
Here they are together at Liverpool City Raceway, Sydney Australia 1975...

This photo from the website. Here's the link to the site of this amazing man...

http://www.garypattersonracing.com/
Old 09-22-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
BillyJean
Rookie

Limited Membership - Awaiting Certification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjeffreson View Post
When I was at Knoxville raceway recently, I spent a couple of hours slowing wandering through the Museum and Hall off Fame. Came across this photo of Patterson..so I took a photo of the photo.
This guy was a legend when he came to race in Australia. In sprintcars or midgets...he was the total entertainment package.

haha, he looks like a character
BillyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:16 AM   #6
ArtworxFX
Rookie

As a wide eyed young Australian speedway fan in the early 70's I remember seeing the great G.P. race at our now closed Liverpool City Raceway! Gee what a character, As legend goes, He soon worked out how to wind up us Aussies into believing he was this bad assed driver from Stateside! His mouth could talk as quick as he drove, he was the all round showman! He could drive Sprints, Modifieds and midgets! I have attached a DIGITAL artwork print of my first memory of the great G.P. in this ex Wally Baker modified from Stateside! I remember him winning a lot of our prizemoney in this car! This is one of our prints put together as a personal tribute to one of the greats of Speedway! A man who was very popular down under!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gary print final SMALL.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	2613  
ArtworxFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:42 AM   #7
Chris McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtworxFX View Post
As a wide eyed young Australian speedway fan in the early 70's I remember seeing the great G.P. race at our now closed Liverpool City Raceway! Gee what a character, As legend goes, He soon worked out how to wind up us Aussies into believing he was this bad assed driver from Stateside! His mouth could talk as quick as he drove, he was the all round showman! He could drive Sprints, Modifieds and midgets! I have attached a DIGITAL artwork print of my first memory of the great G.P. in this ex Wally Baker modified from Stateside! I remember him winning a lot of our prizemoney in this car! This is one of our prints put together as a personal tribute to one of the greats of Speedway! A man who was very popular down under!
Nice art Terry. The 1st time I saw Gary race was in this car at the Showground. He charged into the bullpens incredibly aggressive and passed most of the field. He didn't really hit anything, but he hadn't given anyone much room either, and left chaos in his wake.

Chris.
Chris McGee is offline   Reply With Quote